- 1 What is the meaning of llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch?
- 2 How do you say the longest village name in Wales?
- 3 How did llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch get its name?
- 4 What is the longest village name?
- 5 What word takes 3 hours to say?
- 6 How is LL pronounced in Welsh?
- 7 What is the longest Welsh word?
- 8 What is the most longest word?
- 9 What does the longest Welsh town name mean in English?
- 10 Is llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch the longest word?
- 11 What is the shortest town name?
What is the meaning of llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch?
The full name is Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, which was created—largely for promotional reasons, so its railway station would have the longest sign in the country—in the mid 1800s. It means “ The church of St. Mary in the hollow of white hazel trees near the rapid whirlpool by St.
How do you say the longest village name in Wales?
GWYN – You may have heard the Welsh name “Gwyn”, well this is pronounced in exactly the same way. Just say the english word “win” and put a “g” in front of it. (pronounce the “g” as you would in the word “gone”). Easy.
How did llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch get its name?
Literally translated, the long form of the name means: ” [The] church of [St.] Mary (Llanfair) [of the] pool (pwll) of the white hazels (gwyn gyll) near [lit. “over against”] (go ger) the fierce whirlpool (y chwyrn drobwll) [and] the church of [St.] Tysilio (Llantysilio) of the red cave (-ogo[f] goch)”.
What is the longest village name?
The North Island of New Zealand has a place named Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu. The 1,000-foot hill near the township Porangahau holds the Guinness World Record for longest place name with 85 characters.
What word takes 3 hours to say?
Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis (45 letters)
How is LL pronounced in Welsh?
In fact the Welsh ‘ll’ is not pronounced ‘thl’ but ‘chl’ where the ‘ch’ is as pronounced as in ‘loch’. As a matter of fact, the Welsh ‘ll’ sound has nothing to do with the ‘ch’ sound of ‘loch’. It is ‘simply’ a voiceless version of ‘l’, with the same tongue position and articulation, but voiceless.
What is the longest Welsh word?
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch (llan-vire-pooll-gwin-gill-gore-ger-ih-queern-drorb-ooll-llandy-silio-gore-gore-goch), usually shortened to Llanfair-pwll or Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, is a Welsh word that translates roughly as “St Mary’s Church in the Hollow of the White Hazel near a Rapid
What is the most longest word?
Major dictionaries The longest word in any of the major English language dictionaries is pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis, a word that refers to a lung disease contracted from the inhalation of very fine silica particles, specifically from a volcano; medically, it is the same as silicosis.
What does the longest Welsh town name mean in English?
(Welsh hlanˌvaɪrpʊhlˈɡwɪnɡɪhl), Llanfairpwll or Llanfair P. G. a village in NW Wales, in SE Anglesey: reputed to be the longest place name in Great Britain when unabbreviated; means: St Mary’s Church in the hollow of the white hazel near the rapid whirlpool of Llandysilio of the red cave.
Is llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch the longest word?
With 58 characters, Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch is the longest one-word place name in both the United Kingdom and in Europe as well as the world’s second longest place name. This name is often shortened as Llanfairpwll or Llanfair PG for brevity.
What is the shortest town name?
The Shortest Geographical Place Names
- U, a place in Panama.
- U, a settlement on Pohnpei in the Caroline Islands, Federated States of Micronesia.
- Ú, a place in Madagascar.
- Y, a settlement in Alaska, United States.
- Y, a commune in the department of Somme, France.
- Y, a river on the north of Russia.